A couple of years ago I ate my first Super Bowl at Pickle Barrel. It was a healthy option but sounded downright delicious – it was a win-win scenario. It wasn’t until fairly recently that I recalled that yummy meal and decided we should make our own, vegetarian for some reason, version.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- a box of cherry/grape tomatoes
- an avocado (or two)
- a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) or dry black beans for re-purposing
- a can of corn kernels (drained)
- marble cheddar
- green onion
- greek yogurt
- spices: half a cube of vegetable stock, chipotle, garlic powder, cumin
- chili garlic sauce
And here’s what you need to do with all that stuff:
- put the 1/2 cube of vegetable stock and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
remove from heat, add 1 cup of quinoa, return to heat and bring to a boil again.
- once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
turn the burner off, leave quinoa covered on the stovetop for another 10 minutes.
- while all that stuff is happening with the quinoa, grab a bunch of bowls and do the following:
– dice the tomatoes
– slice and dice the avocado in the easiest way possible
– drain and rinse the black beans
– drain the corn kernels
– shred your cheddar
– slice the green onion (just enough for garnish)
- saute your corn with a touch of olive oil (or butter, if you want!) and a few teaspoons of cumin (I like LOTS!); keep warm until you’re ready to eat
- make your yogurt sauce/dressing: add 4-6 heaping tablespoons of yogurt, a dash of chipotle and garlic powder (to taste), and a pinch (or 5, if you’re Zach) of chili garlic sauce to a bowl; blend with a whisk, or a spoon, or a food processor
- place some cooked quinoa in your bowl; add tomatoes, black beans, corn, avocado by row. top with cheese, a blob of yogurt dressing, and sprinkle with green onion.
- mix or eat row by row & enjoy!
These ingredients are enough for us to eat for dinner and have leftovers for lunch, just to put things in perspective. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the bowl or maybe the ingredients to your own version!
Until then, I’m giving thanks for this yummy, quick and dirty meal time favourite.
Sidebar: on a steamy day like today, I enjoyed my bowl with a side of Skinny Girl Margarita. I think it’s tasty, even though the name annoys me.